November 21, 2010

Animated Maps

Lately, in my GIS classes, I have been working on ArcScene. I am really impressed with its animation tool. Animated map is undoubtedly superior to a plain map on screen or paper. With map animation, we can easily show spatial and temporal changes.

While there are numerous examples of animated map you can find on web, here is one I like to share with you. This is a short video showing American History-Growth of a Nation. Narration and animation gives a different dimension to the maps. Enjoy the video!

1 comment:

  1. that was FASCINATING. I loved it. Of course, I should mention, I am a dork. But still-- so fun. A few thoughts:

    *wait, was Davy Crockett seriously firing his gun GANGSTER STYLE at the Battle of the Alamo? Hilarious!

    *I'm curious to know where they got the V/O guy. His pronunciation of "Appomattox" and "annexed" was non-standard.

    *I feel like a dumbass for never realizing before that the LA Purchase encompassed the extents of the greater Mississippi River tributaries. Duh!

    so much fun-- thank you for posting it! see you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete